Our fireplace mantel is up and finished (for now). We completed it just in time for the holidays and we were so happy to have a place to hang our stockings. We painted it with an oil-based paint (for durability) and finished the interior with black chalkboard paint. I eventually want to do a stacked-wood-look, but for now I’m happy. In the mood lighting of our Christmas party a few even thought it was real. Win.
Because the wall we put it on is the main walking path in the home, we couldn’t afford to push it out from the wall too far (which would have really given it a “real” fireplace feel). But we were able to afford a few inches. So we cut a 2×4 in half and stuck the pieces behind it, if we would have done any more we would have needed to find another top piece!.