Our last project before moving into our new house was the floors. For us, they were the crowning jewel and our ticket to moving in.
We went back and forth on whether we should get them professionally done, but the price tag was out of reach. We decided to go the diy route, and asked around for advice while watching countless YouTube videos.
There was a weird, very noticeable, piece of plywood in the middle of the dining and living room. We think a chimney used to be there. We decided to patch it with old fir and stagger the wood boards so the square wouldn’t be so obvious. It’s not really a place a rug can hide and I was worried it would stick out like sore thumb.
Here’s the floor after Screening. Screening removes inconsistencies and assures proper adhesion of the top coat (basically it’s a light sand/buff). After screening we wiped the floors down really well so no dust or particles remained and applied the final coat. Below is the finished product!
TaDa! All finished. You can see a few lines in on the floor, that’s a bruise left from a wheel barrow gauge during demo (we have not found who committed that crime). We’ll just call it character.
Here’s our DIY Cost Breakdown:
• Wood for patching: $50
• Drum Sander Rental: $100
• Edge Sander Rental: $46
• Bona Sealer: $120
• Bona Finish: $350
• Sanding Pads: $100
• Buffer Rental: $40
• Time spent: 24 work hours