Pumpkin Bread comes right after the PSL on the list of things I love about fall (it’s an extensive list). My mother has a wonderful pumpkin bread recipe that is moist, sweet and of course, pumpkiny that I loved growing up. But alas, not vegan. So with some research and improvisation I’ve found the secret to a moist vegan pumpkin bread is coconut milk. I sent my parents a few muffin-sized versions and my mom now wants the recipe. I think that makes this baking adventure a success.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8″ x 4″ loaf pans.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add pumpkin puree, oil and coconut milk. Divide between (2) 8″ x 4″ loaf pans.
3. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If making muffins bake for approximately 35 minutes, check at 20 minutes.
Vicki Angela says
I just had a pumpkin bread this weekend; non-vegan, though. I am excited to give this recipe a try.